From long golden sandy beaches, unspoilt craggy coastline, secluded bays to beautiful river valleys and forests, fresh seafood, historic harbours and picturesque villages… Isle of Wight has it all whether you are swimmer, biker, walker or lazy to do anything at all. It is blessed with a very favourable climate, being consistently warmer and sunnier than the English mainland.
Discover Isle of Wight on the bike and on your feet!
Highlights: Discover unforgettable Needles and sunny Freshwater Bay. Admire romantic sunsets of western coast of Island. Enjoy the best trails and sea views from the bike. Ride on the high speed hovercraft – fastest Isle of Wight passenger ferry. Relaxing time at hidden bays and award winning beaches. Shanklin Chine historic woodland and waterfalls – natural walking trail. Thatched cottages and tea gardens of “Old Shanklin Village”. Taste quality fish&chips… fresh, big and tasty 🙂
To get to Isle of Wight travel by train (bus or car) to Portsmouth Harbour, Southampton Central or Lymington Pier. Then board the ferry or hovercraft.
Hotels and B&B on Isle of Wight (Shanklin)
Recommended Bike routes & Sights & Where to eat
|BIKE ROUTE 1: From Ryde to Shanklin
Fly to Isle of Wight (Ryde) from Portsmouth on a hovercraft (www.hovertravel.co.uk). Journey takes only 10 minutes. Then hire a bike from TAV Cycles in Ryde (www.tavcycles.co.uk) and cycle to Shanklin via Bembridge and Sandown. Visit Shanklin Chine, relax by the sea and do not miss great seafood.
|BIKE ROUTE 2: From Yarmouth to The Needles
Length: 15 km. Grade: moderate. Maps:
Hire bike at Wight Cycle Hire (www.wightcyclehire.co.uk) and cycle to The Needles via Freshwater Bay.
- Sights: Osborne House, Shanklin Chine, The Needles
- Where to eat: The WaterFront Bar and Restaurant (Totland Bay}. !!! Great views and seafood.
Useful Info & Tips
- Isle of Wight – official website
- Island Breaks
- Short movies from Isle of Wight
- !!! Cycling routes
- Hire bike
- Isle of Wight beaches
- Walking Britain – maps, walks, tips
Find more on: Independent A-Z guide to London, England and Scotland (www.mintytrips.co.uk). Everything you ever needed to know when traveling to Great Britain. Shared by people who live in Britain, admire it’s beauty and recommend worthwhile places they know well.
- Cornwall – Where the Land’s End
- The best of Isle of Wight
- Sunny Dorset & World Heritage Jurassic Coast
- Snowdonia National Park, Snowdon (North Wales)
- Lake District National Park (Honister Via Ferrata)
- Lake District National Park (Keswick, Catbells)
- Lake District National Park (Glenridding, Helvellyn)
- Peak District National Park
- Biking in The New Forest
- Seven Sisters (Seven Sisters Country Park), Eastbourne, Brighton
- Horse riding in The New Forest
- Looking for a hotel, bed and breakfast, holiday cottage or hostel in London, England, Wales or Scotland? We were very happy with this website (click here) that we’ve tried for our holidays. It compares the deals, lists real guest reviews and offers really good rates 🙂
Enjoyed our holidays in North Portugal we have put together a list of our tips where to go, what to see and taste, accommodation tips, best beaches, where to hire a car, what you should see in Porto, in Douro Valley and around Viana do Castelo. Read more here www.myromanticholiday.com
My Romantic Holiday – 10 days in North Portugal – 7 days in lovely South France (Languedoc). Check some great tips for your romantic holiday: www.myromanticholiday.com