Home of Britain’s first national park – the Peak District.
Located right at the heart of England, the stunning and diverse scenery of the Peak District and Derbyshire is a paradise for all outdoor enthusiasts.
Let us invite you to the marvellous hill-village of Castleton, dominated by the imposing ruins of Peveril Castle and surrounded by superb walking country. Below ground, there is a subterranean network of caverns and mines which has drawn people to the area for more than two millennia.
Travel by train from London King’s Cross to Hope changing at Sheffield. Then walk or take a bus (service 272) to Castleton. Local bus transport: click here
Hotels and B&B in Castleton
Recommended walks & Sights & Where to eat
|WALK 1: Walk around the Castleton / day 1
Length: 9 km. Grade: easy. Suggested maps: OS Explorer Map (Peak District, sheet OL1).
Travel to Castleton (by train via Sheffield and Hope) and bus (number 272).
Start your amazing long weekend in Peak District by a circular walk around Castleton via Mam Tor (Shivering Mountain), Hollins Cross and Lose Hill. Download the map below.
Celebrate the day in a pub in Castleton, we recommend The Castle (see link below).
|WALK 2: Hike to Kinder Scout via Jacob’s Ladder / day 2
Length: 18 km. Grade: moderate-hard. Suggested maps: OS Explorer Map (Peak District, sheet OL1).
Strengthen by a rich breakfast today’s challenge is Kinder Scout (636 m / 2,088 ft above sea level, Kinder Scount is the highest point in the Peak District). Download the map below.
On the way back to Castleton, it is worth to stop for late dinner in The Old Nags Head Inn (in the village Edale).
|VISIT BLUE JOHN CAVERNS / day 3
After all that hiking it’s time to relax. We recommend you to visit world famous Blue John Caverns.
Where to eat: The Castle
Useful Info & Tips
- Visit Peak District
- Mam Tor hill (Shivering Mountain)
- Peveril Castle
- Blue John Caverns
- Walking Britain – maps, walks, tips
Find more on: Independent A-Z guide to London, England and Scotland (www.mintytrips.co.uk). Everything you ever needed to know when traveling to Great Britain. Shared by people who live in Britain, admire it’s beauty and recommend worthwhile places they know well.
- Cornwall – Where the Land’s End
- The best of Isle of Wight
- Sunny Dorset & World Heritage Jurassic Coast
- Snowdonia National Park, Snowdon (North Wales)
- Lake District National Park (Honister Via Ferrata)
- Lake District National Park (Keswick, Catbells)
- Lake District National Park (Glenridding, Helvellyn)
- Peak District National Park
- Biking in The New Forest
- Seven Sisters (Seven Sisters Country Park), Eastbourne, Brighton
- Horse riding in The New Forest
- Looking for a hotel, bed and breakfast, holiday cottage or hostel in London, England, Wales or Scotland? We were very happy with this website (click here) that we’ve tried for our holidays. It compares the deals, lists real guest reviews and offers really good rates 🙂
Enjoyed our holidays in North Portugal we have put together a list of our tips where to go, what to see and taste, accommodation tips, best beaches, where to hire a car, what you should see in Porto, in Douro Valley and around Viana do Castelo. Read more here www.myromanticholiday.com
My Romantic Holiday – 10 days in North Portugal – 7 days in lovely South France (Languedoc). Check some great tips for your romantic holiday: www.myromanticholiday.com